Username and password¶
How can I create a new account?¶
- To do this, you must be an administrator (read more How can I become a Synkzone administrator for my organization?).
- Go to the Users list in the Summary tab, and click the + at the bottom of the list.
- First enter a valid email address for the user in the first dialog. If this is an internal user in your organization, it is appropriate to use the user's email address in the organization. An email will be sent to this address when the user account is created with the password, so make sure it is a valid email address of the person to have the account.
- You will then get a question about the username. It does not have to be the user’s real name, but is the name that is used in combination with the organization name when logging on (username@organization). Normally, the same name that is in the email address will be suggested (and is recommended to avoid confusion), but if it already is used within the organization, another name will have to be given. The username must be unique within the organization.
- After that, you will be asked to confirm that you want to create the new user account. If you do not confirm, nothing more will happen. Otherwise, a new user account will be created with an automatically generated password, and a welcome email will be sent to the given email address along with information about the username and password.
Please observe that depending on your organization’s customer agreement, each new account may incur an extra fee for the organization.
- Finally, all information about the new user account will be shown, and you will be given the opportunity to edit some settings, such as the user’s real name (the name that normally will be shown in for example zone logs).
- In particular, you can decide if the new user account shall be internal or external. If the email address belongs to a domain with the same name as the organization, the user will automatically be created as an internal user. External users have fewer privileges than internal; they do not automatically become members of organization shared zones, cannot become administrators or zone managers, and cannot create their own zones.
How do I delete a user account?¶
- If you want to remove a user from a zone, go to the "Participants list" for the zone and change the user's access privileges to "None" in the same manner as described in "How do I add a user to a zone?". To do this, you must either be a manager of the zone, or be an administrator.
- To delete an account, you must be an administrator (read more under How can I become a Synkzone administrator for my organization?). The Main administrator account cannot be removed, and no users can delete their own account.
- Go to the Users list in the Overview tab, right-click the user to delete, and select Remove. A confirmation request will appear. If the request to remove the account is confirmed, it will be immediately removed and can no longer be used.
How can I become a Synkzone administrator for my organization?¶
- Being an administrator means having some rights that other users do not have:
- Create and delete user accounts
- See full lists of users
- Always have the right to unlock files
- Create user groups
- The Main administrator is always an administrator, but if your organization allows it, you can also give administrator rights to other users.
- Only the Main administrator can make other users administrators, or revoke administrator privileges.
- It is also only internal users within the organization that may be made to the administrators.
- To do this, the Main administrator needs to open the account information for the user by double clicking it in the Users list or a Participants list in any zone, and check the administrator rights box.
- For users who are administrators, "(administrator)" will be shown after the username in all user lists.
What if I forget my password?¶
- In the login box, click on Forgot. This sends a request to the Main administrator for your organization to provide you with a new password. If you are the Main administrator yourself, a request for help is instead sent to Synkzone support.
- Since your password because of Synkzone's strict security policy never is made available to anyone but you, not even in encrypted form, there is no one else who can give you your old password back, so a new password must be created. This can also mean that certain settings you have made will be lost, so you have to make them again.
- The administrator can access the Users list in the Overview tab, right-click on your user account, and choose New password... to assign a new password. New login information will be sent to you at the email address listed in your account.
- If you are the Main administrator and lost your password, this must be handled in a special way because access to this account is particularly sensitive from a security perspective. Among other things, your organization will be contacted by Synkzone support to ensure that the request is made by an authorized representative of your organization.
- It may therefore take some time before you get a new password.
- Always directly change the new password to any other password when you log on again to avoid the risk of someone accessing your email to get your password.
How do I change my password?¶
- Select Change Password in the User menu and follow the instructions.
- Remember that changing the password might not have an impact immediately on all computers or other devices that you use Synker on, so you can for a short period sometimes need to enter the old password instead.